Are you thinking of becoming a professional equestrian? Or perhaps you simply enjoy horse riding as a hobby? Either way, you need to learn first about proper horse care to improve your experience. Unlike with other pets, you need to get your hands on products and tools meant only for horses. You might even have to hire professionals to train them. This way, your horse riding activities will be a breeze.
Horse Care and Maintenance
Make sure your horses have access to their basic needs, including food, water, and shelter. Monitor their overall health closely to ensure that they do not get sick. Keep the following things in mind.
- Food and Water – The amount of food that horses need depends on their bodyweight. As a guide, you can feed a kilogram or two for a horse weighing 100 kilograms. For water, they should consume at least 25 liters each day. Remember to add a few buckets more during hot days.
- Shelter – Horses need a place that is safe from extreme weather conditions. It should be dry and clean so that they can comfortably lie down.
- Daily Exercise – Provide your horses with spaces for walking and running. They need their daily dose of walks to keep their bodies strong, especially their legs.
- General Health Care – Horses also need to undergo regular check-ups. Make sure that they are dewormed and vaccinated.
Basic Horse Riding Tools
When it comes to horse riding, you should also learn the tools that you need for the activity. If you want to stick to the basics, here is a list.
- Saddle – This is one of the most important items you need for horse riding. It helps you sit comfortably while the horse walks or runs. There are adjustable saddles that you can choose, so you can custom-fit accordingly.
- Saddle Pads – For added support, pads or blankets are placed under the saddle. This is used to cushion a strong impact while riding a horse. Aside from its function, it can also add to the style of your tack.
- Girth – Add girth to your saddle to secure it onto the back of your horse. Always check if the girth is in good condition before riding to prevent any accidents.
- Reins – Reins will help you have better control over the horse while you are riding. This is a necessary item both for beginners and professionals.
- Bits – This item is placed inside the mouth of the horse. It allows a rider to put pressure to control the horse’s movements. It allows better communication between the horse and the rider. You can choose from different types of horse bits in the market.
Keep in mind that these are only some of the basic items you can purchase for your horse riding activities. There are many other tools and equipment that you can consider purchasing. Just make sure that you choose high-quality ones, so you can remain safe and secured while horse riding. You can also undergo training to improve your skills. You never know; you might just become one of the best equestrians out there.