For many families, the kitchen is the heart of their home. It’s where they gather for meals and spend time together. Apart from eating together, cooking is a great way to make memories with your family. Not only is it a fun activity, but it’s also a way to bond and connect with them. Plus, you get to eat the delicious food you cook together.
It’s no wonder that during the pandemic, homeowners are doing kitchen renovations to help them get through these challenging times. Most of the time, having everyone at home means spending more time together in the kitchen. You would want the kitchen to be spacious enough for all of you and adequately equipped for your cooking activities. Here are some tips for meals and desserts that the family can whip up together. They are simple enough to involve even children.
Classic Home Cooked Family Meals and Treats
Spaghetti and Meatballs
This classic dish is always a hit with the family. Here’s how to cook spaghetti and meatballs:
1. Start by mixing the ground beef, egg, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
2. Next, add the eggs and mix everything well.
3. Shape the mixture into small balls and set them aside.
4. In a large pot, cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package.
5. While the pasta is cooking, heat some olive oil in a frying pan.
6. Add the meatballs to the frying pan and cook them until they’re browned.
7. Drain the cooked pasta and add it to the frying pan with the meatballs.
8. Pour your favorite pasta sauce over everything and mix it all together. If you have a recipe for spaghetti sauce, you can also make this together.
9. Serve the spaghetti and meatballs on plates.
Everyone loves pizza. You can make it from scratch and add your favorite toppings. Here’s how to make pizza dough:
1. Mix the flour, yeast, salt, and sugar in a large bowl.
2. Add the olive oil and water to the bowl and mix everything until it forms a soft dough.
3. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes to form a smooth ball.
4. Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover it with a damp cloth.
5. Let the dough rise in a warm place for about an hour.
6. Once it has doubled in size, it’s ready to use!
7. Ensure the oven is preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit before proceeding.
8. To make the pizza, start by rolling out the dough on a floured surface. You can make one family-sized dough or individual pieces.
9. Transfer the dough to a greased baking sheet and add the pizza sauce and your favorite toppings. You can each add different toppings for individual pizzas according to your preference. Don’t forget the cheese. You can add different kinds of cheese if you want.
10. Bake the pizza for about 25 minutes. It is done when the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
11. Slice the pizza into pieces and serve.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
This classic cookie is a favorite among many families. Here’s how to make chocolate chip cookies:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit before proceeding.
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Aim for a light and fluffy consistency.
3. Add the vanilla extract and eggs to the bowl and mix everything until it’s well combined.
4. In another bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, and salt.
5. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix everything until it forms a soft dough.
6. Add the chocolate chips to the dough and mix everything until evenly distributed.
7. Place spoonfuls of dough onto a greased baking sheet and bake them in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Leave the cookies on the baking sheet to cool for several minutes. Afterward, transfer them to a wire rack to continue cooling.
9. Serve or put in a cookie jar for later.
Making ice cream is a fun and easy activity for the whole family. You can make the ice cream together then you can each add your favorite toppings. Here’s how to make ice cream:
1. Start by mixing the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a bowl.
2. Add the milk and whisk everything until it’s well combined.
3. Pour the mixture into a saucepan and cook it over medium heat until it thickens and comes to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat to low and let the mixture simmer for about 2 minutes.
5. Add the vanilla extract and mix it well.
6. Pour the mixture into a blender and blend it until smooth.
7. Pour the mixture into a container and place it in the freezer for about two hours or until it’s firm.
8. Scoop the ice cream into bowls and add toppings. Fresh fruit slices make this even more refreshing and healthy, too.
These recipes can be made one at a time or together for a celebration. You have main dishes and desserts. They are all easy to follow and create. The entire family can help with the preparation, cooking, and eating. These recipes will become family traditions that you can enjoy for years to come.